That night was freezing!! The boys did well though. Max only stirred a few times and I just had to recover him. Kyler woke up 3-4 times freezing because he kept kicking his covers off. We survived though. Quinn went hunting early in the morning with his dad and 2 brothers, while my boys and I stayed back at camp with my mother in law Kaye. It was her birthday so the boys and I sang to her when she got up. She was happy to hear that. The boys gave her a big hug and went outside to play. We were planning to go to the Freemont Indian Museum and were busy getting ready. The boys went to get in the car I went into the trailer to get my purse and a few seconds later I heard Kyler crying. I run out to find him holding his cheek and blood running down his face. My brother-in-laws dog bit Kyler's cheek. I knew it was bad and yelled for Kaye to come out. I picked up my boy and we got Max in his car seat. We needed a hospital and we were in the midlle of nowhere. I had not had reception on my phone at all but I pulled it out any way and by some miracle I got a hold of my mom. She looked on line to tell us where to go in Richfield. I held Kyler in my arms with a wet rag on his face. My mother-in-law is the best. She drove 95 all the way and we still didn't feel like it was fast enough. She said "If we get pulled over I am just going to ask for an escort to the hopital, we are not slowing down." She is so great. On the way I talked to my Grandpa Newton who calmed me down a lot and told me the questions to ask at the ER.
We got to the Hospital in Richfield and after checking in and having to report the dog. We were seen by a very calm Dr. He was great and was upfront with me. He said we could go see a Plastic Surgeon, but we would just be paying a lot more $$ for the same care. I felt good about stiching him up here. Kyler laid on the bed so still. He was so good. He was in shock I am sure. He didn't even move when they gave him 2 shots right by the bite. Then he continued to hold incredibly still while the Dr. put 7 stiches into his cheek. Everyone in the hospital came in to see this 4 year old boy who was holding so still. The Dr. said he has never had a patient hold so still not even adults. Everyone there, even the Sheriff, who had to get involved in order for Kyler to receive care, was telling him how brave he was and how amazing he was. I was the one having a hard time...not a surprise. I almost passed out, but that is normal for me. When we left the ER Kyler was loaded up with goodies. A stuffed animal, ("a nice dog") Spiderman bandaids, cookies, crayons to color his own stickers with, and a sherifs badge. He at least gave us a smile then.
The Dog Bite after being cleaned up
I thought this ordeal was over, but I was wrong. The Sheriff had to follow us back to camp...we drove a little slower going back, to check the dog out. First we needed to get a perscription filled for Kyler (that took forever). When we got back to camp the guys had returned from hunting and found our note. My brother-in-law was furious and took his dog up in the moutains. We pulled up to see my father-in-law with a shovel in his hands and I started to scream. I guess you can guess what happened. I am having a hard time because Kyler understands what happened too. I feel like my nephews lost thier dog because of me. Everything got squared away with the sheriff and I was a wreck for the rest of the night. We ended up having to tell my sister-in-law and nephews what happened and that was terrible. I am still struggling with what happened this weekend. I hate that the few seconds I left my kids my child got hurt.
I am sorry this is long but this is also my journal entry of what happened.
14 comments:
Holy cow! What a story! Poor Kyler. What a brave little guy to sit so still, I don't think I could have. That is so sad about the dog but I'm sure your brother-in-law didn't want to worry about the dog biting his kids as well. Has Kyler acted afraid of dogs after all this?
that's so terrible, poor Kyler.
That is so sad. We went camping last Oct and the worst thing that happened to us was we froze all night, it was awful and I hated it but it was nothing compared to the day you had. Oh it just makes me sick for you. I hope you're all recovering well.
I'm so glad that Kyler is okay and that you were able to enjoy some the trip after the whole ordeal. What a trooper Kyler is! Is he still saying he wants a red dog or has this incidence changed him?
Oh my gosh!
Poor Kyler! Every camping trip we've been on with the kids has been a little rough (ruptured ear drums, vomiting, rain, etc) but nothing compared to this. That is so sad! Hope you're all doing well now ...
Liza
What a horrible, horrible thing to happen, for everybody involved. I am so sorry!
this story is so crazy. I feel so bad for kyler, you, and the dog! I hope his cheek heals ok and that he doesn't get too much of a scar.
Wow what a story! It made me cry. I don't know who I was crying for, the dog, the family, you, or Kyler. I hope that you are doing better and that your family has a HAPPY HALLOWEEN.
P.S. What is a boy without a killer scare? Chicks dig scares.
Wow poor kyler and Poor you to have to experience that, but it's true chicks dig scars. My bro. had his cheek smashed with a golf club by my uncle at a family reunion. Similar hospital story. The scare seemed to give him a story to tell and sympathy from the girls. Good luck to the whole fam.
I'm so sorry to hear about your camping fiasco! Poor Kyler, it's amazing that he was so brave at the doctor's office. Thankfully kids are so resilient, and often times the ones that teach us to be brave. I hope he's feeling better!!
Oh my gosh julieanne!
I am so sorry to hear about the accident. My heart broke about the whole dog thing and that they decided to do that with the dog. But YOu know if it were my dog and she did that I would probably do the same thing.
Hopefully he will still like dogs after this.
loveyou
I also hope that he is okay. But it sounded like you had fun before all that happened! nice pictures!
Okay so I know I don't post that much but we all need an update on how poor Kyler is doing! We are so sad for him. I don't think Cam would have been so still. We need to get together soon. Maybe I will see you at the musical - if you still go to those things.... Jenni
Post a Comment